Cauliflower “Fried Rice” with Ginger, Turmeric & Almonds
Cauliflower "Fried Rice" with Ginger, Turmeric & Almonds
For those who follow me on Instagram;, you'll know that I'm a huge fan of fried rice. This dish is a little bit different as it doesn't actually have rice in it! It uses cauliflower pulsed in the food processor into "rice" instead - a variety of herbs and aromatics add flavour, while chopped almonds add texture. I recently shared this recipe with a cooking class I was teaching and it was a hit!
Author: Adapted from The Healthy Chef
Makes: 4-6 servings
- 1 large cauliflower, about 1.3 lb (600 g), finely chopped or grated
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) olive or canola oil
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) freshly grated ginger
- 1 tsp (5 mL) turmeric
- 2 bunches cilantro, stems and leaves chopped separately
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced (optional)
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed, leaves finely shredded
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 6 spring onions, trimmed and finely chopped
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped
- 1 bunch mint, chopped
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) mirin
- 1 cup almonds, roughly chopped
- 1 lime, quartered, for garnish
- Place the chopped cauliflower in a food processor and pulse until it reaches the consistency of rice. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large, deep skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add ginger, turmeric, cilantro stems and jalapeño pepper (if using), then stir-fry for about 30 seconds, or until fragrant.
- Add cauliflower and kale, and stir-fry until the cauliflower is hot and the kale has wilted.
- Deglaze the pan with a tiny bit of water, scraping off the browned bits. Stir in beaten eggs until cooked through.
- Stir in spring onions, parsley, mint, soy sauce and mirin. Fold in almonds. Serve with a wedge of lime for garnish. Can be enjoyed hot or cold.