Super-Seed Chocolate Protein Balls
Did your ears perk up when you heard chocolate? These treats, from the famous Sweet Spot Nutrition makes these for her daughters' lunches, subbing the cacao nibs with mini chocolate chips.
Author: Oh She Glows
Recipe type: Snack, Vegetarian, Vegan, Gluten-Free
- 1 cup (250 mL) packed pitted Medjool dates (12-13 large)
- ¼ cup (60 mL) hulled hemp seed (hemp hearts)
- ¼ cup (60 mL) chia seeds
- ¼ cup (60 mL) sesame seeds
- ¼ cup (60 mL) cocoa powder
- ½ tsp (2 mL) pure vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) cinnamon
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) fine grain sea salt, or to taste
- ¼ cup (60 mL) raw cacao nibs (or mini dark chocolate chips)
- Place dates in a food processor and process until a chunky paste forms. If the dates are dry, you might need a bit of water to help thin out the paste.
- Add in hemp hearts, chia seeds, sesame, cocoa powder, vanilla, cinnamon and salt. Process until thoroughly combined. Pulse in the cacao nibs. The dough should be sticky when pressed between your fingers. If it’s not sticky enough to shape into balls, add a small amount of water (a teaspoon at a time) and process until it comes together.
- Remove dough from the food processor and shape into small balls (about 16) and freeze for 20 minutes or so until firm. Store in an airtight container in the freezer for up to several weeks.