African Beef Stew
This recipe, adapted from Dietitian's of Canada's Cookspiration app, adds some unique flavours to the traditional meat-and-potatoes meal.
Author: Vincci Tsui, RD
Recipe type: Stew
Makes: about 1 L
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 lb (1 kg) lean stewing beef, cubed
- 5 stalks celery, diced
- 2 onions, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced zucchini
- ¼ cup (60 mL) white vinegar or cider vinegar
- ¼ cup (60 mL) brown sugar
- ½ tsp (2 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- Hot sauce, to taste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a dutch oven. Add beef cubes and cook until brown on all sides. Add celery, onions, peppers and zucchini and cook, stirring, until softened. Lower heat and deglaze pan with vinegar, scraping off the browned bits. Remove from heat and stir in remaining ingredients.
- Cook in preheated oven until beef is fork tender, about 3 hours. Season with additional hot sauce, salt and pepper, to taste.