Asian-Inspired Orzo Salad with Roasted Tofu
As seen at the Calgary Stampede Western Showcase Kitchen Theatre 2018! This refreshing salad features tofu, an unexpected ingredient. Feel free to replace or add in your favourite veggies or fruits, like mango, edamame, tomato, cucumber, etc.
Author: Adapted from How to Eat
Recipe type: Salad
Makes: 8-12 servings
- 1 package (350 g) extra-firm, pressed or smoked tofu, drained, cubed and patted dry
- 1½ Tbsp (22 mL) cooking oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup (250 mL) orzo
- 1 bag (12 oz/340 g) coleslaw, or about 4 cups (1 L) shredded cabbage
- 1 can (14 fl oz/398 mL) baby corn, drained and cut into chunks
- 8 oz (227 g) snap peas, trimmed and cut into thirds
- 4 green onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- ¾ cup (185 mL) rice wine vinegar
- ½ cup (125 mL) cooking oil
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) honey
- 1½ Tbsp (22 mL) soy sauce
- 1½ Tbsp (22 mL) sesame oil
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. In a medium bowl, toss together tofu, oil and salt and pepper, to taste. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast in oven until browned, about 20 minutes, turning once.
- Meanwhile, cook orzo according to package instructions. Drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
- Whisk together dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, toss together roasted tofu, cooked orzo and remaining salad ingredients. Add dressing and toss to coat.