Brown Butter Pear Rhubarb Ginger Muffins
When the CSA gives you rhubarb and pears, you make rhubarb and pear muffins! Recipe adapted from Cook Sister.
Author: Vincci Tsui, RD
Makes: 12 muffins
- 2 cups chopped rhubarb
- 125 g (½ cup + 1 Tbsp/140 mL) sugar, separated
- 45 g (3 Tbsp/45 mL) butter
- 300 g (2 cups/500 mL) whole wheat flour
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cinnamon
- ½ tsp (2 mL) nutmeg
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) honey
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 pear, cubed
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) fresh grated ginger
- Preheat oven to 375˚F. Grease or line a muffin tin.
- In a medium bowl, stir together rhubarb and 10 g (about 1 Tbsp) sugar. Set aside.
- Brown the butter: In a wide pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Skim off any foam that forms on the surface. Continue to heat, stirring occasionally. The butter will start developing larger bubbles, turn brown and give off a nutty aroma. Take it off the heat before it burns. Set aside and let cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Stir in remaining 115 g (about ½ cup) sugar.
- In a separate bowl, stir together brown butter, milk, honey and egg - be sure to add the milk to help cool the butter before adding the egg; otherwise the egg will scramble!
- Pour liquid ingredients into dry ingredients. Stir until almost completely combined. Fold in rhubarb, pear and fresh ginger. Do not overmix.
- Spoon into prepared muffin tins. Bake until golden and a cake tester inserted into the centre comes out clean, about 20-25 minutes.