Chicken with White Beans & Tomatoes
This is a simple weeknight meal and an easy way to introduce pulses to the "carnivores" in your life.
Author: Vincci Tsui, RD
Recipe type: Main, Chicken, Pulses/Legumes, Gluten-Free
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) cannellini (white kidney) or navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 4-6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 sprigs fresh oregano, plus leaves for garnish
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) cumin
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil, divided
- 4 chicken thighs, legs or breasts (preferably bone-in, skin-on, but boneless, skinless would work too – cooking times may need to be adjusted)
- Heat oven to 425°F. In a large baking dish, toss the beans and tomatoes with the thyme and oregano sprigs, garlic, cumin, 1 tablespoon (15 mL) of oil and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pat the chicken dry and place on top of the bean mixture (skin side up if you have bought the chicken skin-on). Rub with the remaining tablespoon of oil and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Roast until the chicken is golden and cooked through (a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the chicken reads 70˚C/160˚F), about 35-45 minutes. Let rest for 5-10 minutes and garnish with oregano leaves before serving.