Creamy Asparagus Soup
This vegetarian soup gets its creaminess from coconut milk and starchy potatoes, and is just as delicious heated as it is chilled. For a vegan option, skip the yogurt topping and mix the lemon juice with a bit of oil for a citrusy vinaigrette.
Author: Adapted from EatingWell
Recipe type: Soup
Makes: About 8 cups (2 L)
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) mild curry powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) freshly grated ginger, or ½ tsp (2 mL) ground ginger
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon, divided
- 2 fist-sized red potatoes, peeled and diced (about 2 cups, or 500 mL)
- 3 cups (750 mL) vegetable broth
- 1 cup (250 mL) coconut milk
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and chopped into ½-inch (1 cm) pieces (about 2 cups, or 500 mL) (Optional: Save a few asparagus tips for garnish—see note.)
- ½ cup (125 mL) plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup (60 mL) freshly chopped green onions or chives
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and salt, and cook, stirring often, until golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add curry powder (and ground ginger, if using), stirring to coat onion. Add ginger, lemon zest and potatoes. Cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth, coconut milk, and asparagus. Bring soup to a boil. Lower heat and simmer, partially covered, until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together Greek yogurt, lemon juice, and green onions or chives. Set aside.
- Purée soup using an immersion blender, or in batches in a regular blender, until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Garnish with yogurt topping before serving.
To use the asparagus as garnish, save a few tips from chopped asparagus. Place in a small bowl with a small amount of water and microwave for 20-30 minutes. Alternatively, you can quickly blanche or steam until the asparagus is a more vibrant green and loses its "raw" taste. Let cool slightly and place on top of bowl of soup before serving.