Dark Chocolate Black Bean Power Bites
As seen at the Calgary Stampede 2017 Kitchen Theatre! Black beans are the secret ingredient in these power bites, providing fibre, protein and healthy carbohydrates. Dates add sweetness, as well as fibre and a source of potassium and phosphorus. Hemp hearts give an extra protein boost, but feel free to mix in other add-ins, like coconut, dried fruit, nuts, seeds or chia seeds - the sky's the limit!
Author: Vincci Tsui, RD
Recipe type: Snack, Dessert, Vegetarian, Vegan, Gluten-Free
Makes: 40 balls
- 16-20 dates, pitted (about 1-1½ cups)
- 1 can (19 fl oz/540 mL) black beans, ideally no-salt-added, drained and rinsed (about 2 cups, or 365 g)
- ¼ cup (60 mL) cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) coconut oil
- ¼ cup (60 mL) hemp hearts
- ¼ cup (60 mL) cacao nibs
- Place dates in a food processor and process until a paste is formed.
- Add black beans, cocoa powder and coconut oil. Process until a smooth paste is formed.
- Pulse in hemp hearts and cacao nibs. Shape into small, 1” balls. Serve at room temperature or refrigerated. Will keep in refrigerator for up to 3 weeks, and in freezer for several months.