Egg Muffins (aka Mini Frittatas or Mini Crustless Quiches)
Author: Vincci Tsui, RD
Recipe type: Breakfast
- 2 tsp (10 mL) cooking oil
- ~1 cup total of vegetables (i.e. onion, peppers, mushrooms, zucchini, spinach, cherry tomatoes, etc.), finely diced (can also include diced cooked meat)
- 6 eggs
- ¼ cup (60 mL) skim or 1% milk
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) dried parsley or thyme (optional)
- ½ cup (125 mL) shredded cheese
- 2 green onions, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375˚F. Grease 6 muffin cups, or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Sauté vegetables until slightly softened, about 3-5 minutes. (You can skip this step if ingredients are already cooked.)
- Divide vegetables and meat (if using) evenly between muffin cups. They should be about half full.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and herbs (if using). Pour into muffin cups over vegetables. Sprinkle shredded cheese and green onions (if using) over the mini-frittatas.
- Bake until egg is set, about 15-25 minutes. Let cool for about 5 minutes before running a thin knife around each frittata to remove. Serve immediately or let cool completely before storing, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days, or in the freezer, wrapped individually in plastic wrap, for up to one month.