I L-O-V-E anything gingerbread and I'm kicking myself for not making this simple gingerbread cake (adapted from former food blogger and now renowned quilter and author, Cheryl Arkison) a Christmas tradition. Well, it's never too late to start, isn't it?
Author: Backseat Gourmet
Recipe type: Dessert, Christmas
Makes: 8 x 8" cake
- ½ cup/4 oz (125 mL/227 g) butter
- ⅔ cup (170 mL) brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (250 mL) molasses
- 2½ cups (625 mL) flour
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1½ tsp (7 mL) baking soda
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground ginger
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cinnamon
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) cloves
- 1 cup hot (not boiling) water
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Grease an 8″ x 8″ baking pan.
- Cream butter. Gradually add the sugar, then the egg. Beat until light and fluffy. Add the molasses and mix until just blended.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the dry ingredients. Add to the batter, ½ cup (125 mL) at a time, alternating with ¼ cup (60 mL) water. Beat until smooth after each addition. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean. Dust with icing sugar before serving; also delicious with salted caramel sauce or maple butter.