Instant Pot Borscht
Author: Vincci Tsui, RD
Recipe type: Soup
Cuisine: Eastern European
Makes: 4 L (16 cups)
- 2 tsp (10 mL) cooking oil
- 1 lb (454 g) slice of bone-in beef shank, trimmed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Beef broth or water, divided
- 1 bunch beets (about 1-1½ lb), peeled, trimmed and chopped
- 1 lb (454 g) waxy potatoes, chopped
- 1 small head cabbage (the smallest one you can find at the store), chopped
- 1 can (598 mL/19 fl oz) diced tomatoes
- Sour cream or plain Greek yogurt and chopped fresh dill, for garnish
- Set Instant Pot to "Sauté" mode. [If cooking on stovetop, use a large pot over medium-high heat.] Heat oil in pot and brown beef. Remove browned beef from pot and set aside.
- Add onion, carrots, celery and garlic. Sauté until onions are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Deglaze the pan with a small amount of beef broth or water. Add in browned beef, beets, potatoes, cabbage and diced tomatoes. Add beef broth or water to cover (I usually go up to the 4L line)
- Close the Instant Pot and set on Soup mode for 30 minutes, then natural release or Manual mode for 45 minutes, then quick release. [If cooking on stovetop, cook until the beef is tender, about 1 hour and 30 minutes.]
- Using tongs, remove the beef and cut into bite-sized pieces. Stir back into the soup.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream or plain Greek yogurt and chopped fresh dill.