Kale, Chorizo & White Bean Soup
Author: Allyson Connors, Dietetic Intern
Recipe type: Soup
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 ½ tsp (7 mL) minced fresh rosemary
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups (1 L) low-sodium chicken broth or water
- 2 cans (19 fl oz/540 mL) navy beans (preferably no-salt-added), rinsed and drained
- Parmesan rind, optional
- 9 stalks kale, stems removed, chopped
- ⅔ lb (305 g) Italian sausage, casings removed, rolled into ¾" meatballs
- 2 tsp (10 mL) cider vinegar, optional
- Shredded parmesan cheese, for garnish
- Heat 1 Tbsp of oil in a large pot on medium heat. Sauté the onion until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add carrot, celery and rosemary. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables are tender, about 4 minutes. Add tomato paste and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 30 seconds, being careful not to burn the garlic. Add broth, beans and parmesan rind (if using). Bring to a boil, then lower heat and let simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, heat the remaining tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Add sausage meatballs into the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and cooked through, about 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Add chopped kale and sausage into soup and bring the soup back to boil. Lower heat, and let simmer for about 5 minutes. Add vinegar (if using), and season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls and top with shredded parmesan.