Middle Eastern Turkey Meatballs Sheet Pan Dinner
When my friends and fellow dietitians Erin and Dara of How to Eat shared this recipe on their Facebook page, I knew I had to make it! I noticed that their recipe was based on one from Smitten Kitchen, so I consulted both in this version. I even made the cucumber and tomato salad as recommended! I think this would also be good with warm pita wedges and/or rice.
Author: Vincci Tsui, RD
Recipe type: Main
Cuisine: Middle Eastern
Makes: 4-6 servings
Chickpeas & Cauliflower
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 red onion, sliced lengthwise
- 1 can (19 fl oz/591 mL) chickpeas, drained, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) fennel seed
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground turmeric
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lb (454 g) ground turkey
- ½ cup (125 mL) panko, or another plain, dry breadcrumb
- ¼ cup (60 mL) plain yogurt
- 1 large egg
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) chopped cilantro, flat-leaf parsley or mint leaves, or a mix thereof, plus more to garnish
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) water
- 1 tsp (5 mL) kosher salt
- ½ tsp (2 mL) ground coriander
- ½ tsp (2 mL) ground cumin
- ½ tsp (2 mL) ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) cayenne, hot paprika, or red pepper flakes, plus more to taste
- ½ cup (125 mL) tahini
- ¼ cup (60 mL) lemon juice
- ~¼ cup (60 mL) water
- Salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together ingredients in "Chickpeas & Cauliflower" section. Toss until vegetables and chickpeas are evenly coated in spice. Spread in a single layer on one of the baking sheets. Roast in preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix together meatball ingredients in a medium bowl. Shape into 1.5" (4 cm) balls and place on second baking sheet.
- After 25 minutes, leave the chickpeas and cauliflower in the oven, and place the baking sheet with the meatballs in the oven. Roast the two pans of ingredients until a thermometer inserted into the centre of a meatball reads 165˚F (74˚C) and the vegetables are browned and tender, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the tahini sauce by mixing the ingredients together in a medium bowl. To serve, place the vegetables and chickpeas on a large platter and distribute the meatballs evenly on top. Drizzle with tahini sauce.