Pan-Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Forget your mom's overcooked, stinky boiled Brussels sprouts! These days, Brussels sprouts are usually roasted, allowing them to release their natural sweetness and caramelize with a bit of a golden-brown crust. This recipe, adapted from 101 Cookbooks, is how I make Brussels sprouts at home.
Author: Vincci Tsui, RD
Recipe type: Side Dish, Vegetarian, Gluten-Free
Makes: About 1 lb
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 lb (454 g) Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup (60 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place Brussels sprouts halves cut (flat)-side-down in a single layer in pan. Scatter any loose leaves on top. Cover and cook until fork-tender, about 5 minutes.
- Uncover and increase heat to medium-high. Cook until flat sides are deep brown and caramelized, tossing a few times to allow the rounded side to brown as well. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm, topped with Parmesan cheese.