Parsnip, Carrot & Pear Soup
This recipe, adapted from the popular blog Dinner with Julie highlights the natural sweetness of the carrot and the distinct spiciness of the parsnip! Try it with Asian pear for a different flavour and texture.
Author: Vincci Tsui, RD
Recipe type: Soup, Vegetarian, Gluten-Free
Makes: About 12 cups
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 1 onion
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 Asian pears, chopped
- 1 tsp (5 mL) curry powder
- 6 cups (1.5 L) total vegetable broth and/or water
- 1½ lb (680 g) total parsnips and/or carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 small potato, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp (2 mL) pepper
- ½ tsp (2 mL) nutmeg
- 1 can (370 mL/12.5 oz) evaporated milk (optional)
- Heat oil in a soup pot set over medium-high heat. Saute onion and celery for about 5 minutes, until soft. Add pear and curry and cook for a few more minutes.
- Add broth/water, parsnips/carrots, potato, bay leaf, pepper and nutmeg. Bring to a simmer and cook until the parsnips are very tender. Puree with a hand-held immersion blender (or transfer in batches to a blender or food processor) until smooth. Stir in evaporated milk, if desired.