Pub-Grub Veggie Burgers
Author: Adapted from Lukas Volger
Recipe type: Main
Cuisine: Vegetarian, Pulses
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 large eggs
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) black beans, drained and rinsed (or 2 cups cooked)
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) chickpeas, drained and rinsed (or 2 cups cooked)
- 1½ tsp (7 mL) chili powder
- ⅓ cup (85 mL) parsley, chopped
- 2 cups (500 mL) panko, bread crumbs or oats
- 1 cup (250 mL) grated melting cheese, i.e. monterey jack, muenster, mozzarella or fontina
- If baking patties (as opposed to pan-frying), preheat oven to 350˚F. Grease a cookie sheet or line with parchment paper.
- Combine the onion, eggs, beans and chili powder in a food processor and pulse until combined. Turn the bean mixture into a mixing bowl and fold in the parsley, panko, and cheese. Shape into 10 patties.
- Bake patties on prepared cookie sheet for 15 minutes or pan-fry in oil over medium heat for about 4-5 minutes per side.
Make Ahead Tip: Let cool before wrapping and freezing individually for several months. When ready to eat, pan-fry, or cook on a well-oiled grill on medium-high for 5-7 minutes per side, or until heated through. You can also reheat in the oven or toaster oven at 325˚F until heated through.