Vegan Béchamel Sauce
For those who are not familiar, béchamel is a basic white sauce, usually made by first making a roux with flour and butter, which helps to thicken the milk that is added in. Béchamel often forms the basis for many basic sauces - for mac & cheese, just add cheddar, or add parmesan if you are making an Alfredo sauce.
Author: Vincci Tsui, RD
Makes: 4 cups (1 L)
- 4 cups (1 L) unsweetened almond milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 whole cloves or ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ small onion, chopped or 2 shallots, chopped
- ¼ cup flour
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a small saucepan, heat almond milk, bay leaf and cloves over medium heat. Do not bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Sauté onion or shallots until they are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add in flour, stirring to ensure that all of it is coated in butter.
- Whisk in heated almond milk gradually. Bring to a gentle simmer for 20 minutes, or until thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste.