Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins
Recipe type: Baked Goods, Breakfast/Brunch, Snacks, Vegetarian
- 2 cups (500 mL) blueberries, fresh or frozen (no need to defrost)
- 3 cups + 1 Tbsp (765 mL) whole wheat flour, divided
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) baking powder
- ½ tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- 10 Tbsp (150 mL, or 1¼ stick) butter, softened
- ¾ cup (185 mL) sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- 1 tsp (5 mL) lemon zest
- 1½ cups (375 mL) plain yogurt
- Adjust the oven rack to the middle-lower part of the oven. Preheat oven to 375˚F. Line a standard muffin tin with paper liners, or grease each muffin cup individually. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, toss together blueberries with 1 Tbsp flour. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar together, beating until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating until incorporated after each one. Beat in vanilla and lemon zest.
- For this step, make sure that you beat the ingredients until just incorporated. Do not over-beat. Beat in half of the dry ingredients until just incorporated. Beat in a third (½ cup/125 mL) of yogurt. Beat in half of the remaining dry ingredients. Beat in another third of the yogurt. Beat in the remaining dry ingredients, then the yogurt. Fold in the berries.
- Using a small ice cream scoop, distribute the muffin dough equally among the cups – for bigger muffins, fill the cups until they are nearly full, for smaller muffins, fill only to three-quarters full.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the muffins are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the centre of a muffin comes out clean.